William Rossoto, Artist, Author, Residential Designer, Photgrapher,

Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Art Of Value & Grace




Recently Alan Bamberger posted a poignant question on Facebook that left me pondering possible answers for several days. If you aren't familiar with Alan, he is a renowned art critic, author, and art consultant who also presents some great information and questions on Facebook.

The question at hand is, " why do people want to buy your art and what do they get from it"?

A simple question, but one that I had not given a great deal of thought to previously, and most of my musing was and is about the creation of art and how to sell my art.

One of the first things most marketers do before a product is ever put out for consumers is to ask the central question, "who is the target market"? They look for levels of education, income, geographic location, sexual orientation, gender, age, race, and many more factors. Compiling this data and using newer sophisticated neural marketing techniques they come up with a specific group of people that will purchase a certain product. There is a great deal of money, energy, and time invested in knowing who will buy a specific product. The marketers and media experts know why someone will buy and how they will feel when they buy it. All of this a byproduct from the free enterprise system that generally uses the inducement of fear as a motivating factor to get you purchase a product.

Is this ever done with art? I haven't encountered any of the above mentioned marketing techniques to sell art.

Artist are generally more concerned with creating art than with the sale of art. Creating art is realy a full time job in and of itself. Of course artist have to eat, buy paint, canvas, pay mortgages, and attend to the general financial responsibilities that most people do. There are the "hired guns" in the art world, the graphic artist, illustrators, muralist, and so fourth that create art on demand and get paid a certain fee for creating art, and are generally guided by someone else vision. Those of who are not "hired guns" and create art purely from our hearts, souls, and gelatinous gray matter, are compelled to create, and desire to have someone out there on this blue globe acquire our work in exchange for greenbacks.

Most of the time fine artist are creating from an inner calling, a need to share their humanity, spirit, and experiences, of which have to find and avenue in some physical medium like painting, sculpture, film, poetry, photography, novels, and many other mediums. As an artist it often feels like a strange compulsion of some silent, yet loud invisible source telling us what we must do and when to do it. Some say it is a curse to be artist because often creating art comes before good sense, though as we age this compulsive state of being generally becomes more rounded and better balanced.

What most of us want as artist is to have someone else sell and market our work so that we can focus on creating art.

Do we know why people buy our art?

Possible answers.
1) Acquiring art for investment, sort of like playing the stock market, buy low, sell high.
2) Desiring to impress other people and have them believe you are a cultured sort of person.
3) Artist often buy other artist works because they like to support their fellow comrades.
4) A love of human expression through the medium of art.
5) Must have something on the wall above the couch.

The answers are as many as there are stars in the galaxies, and I have yet to come up with any definitive answers, though all this musing has gotten me to contemplate what my target market might look like.

First, they must have disposable income.
Second, they probably have a general interest in modern art.
Third, more than often they know me and like me.
Fourth, they might believe that someday my art will be worth more than they paid for it.


Quite honestly, for all the musing I've done on the questions of selling I have very few answers, and hope that a good art marketing person will manifest in my life. Most of the art I have sold has been from art shows, friends, and a few on line sales, and the whys of their purchases remains a bit of a mystery to me.


I would love to hear from anyone reading this article as to what they think about the reason is that people buy art and what they get from purchasing it.

Saying For The Day: Create from you heart, be true to yourself, and embrace joy.

2 comments:

  1. When Alan asks a question I usually have a well formed opinion that I'm not shy about sharing. I have to admit, in this instance, I was stymied. Far more people like my art than actually buy it (or at least they SAY they like it). I've always attributed much of this to the local culture here in the upper midwest. The reformation is not quite ancient history here, the descendents of the dominant german and scandinavian lutheran settlers still subconsciously equate art to idolatry and papism. "Art" here is invariably something that happens on a stage. In all fairness though, buying a work of art is a substantial commitment. It's one thing to buy a ticket to a play, another entirely to live with an object every day of your life. As you have pointed out, there are all the traditional reasons for acquiring art, investment, status, decoration, but these reasons never seem to completely explain buyer's motivations. In short this is a long-winded way of saying "I don't know".

    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your painting, don't love the way you describe how come I or anyone else would buy it! You make me feel dirty wanting to buy, reading your list of reasons people buy art. I buy art simply because I love looking at it, it makes me feel alive through my eyes, and as an artist too, that's what my collectors say. Think about how it must feel to read such a cynical list... as your prospective collectors will certainly do before extending several thousand dollars your way. I always research before a major purchase and so will they. I think you're a great painter, though. Please don't mistake my aim.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment on this blog. I appreciate your ideas, assessments and or any other commentary you may have.